The famous composer, and also well-known gourmet, Gioacchino Rossini, wrote in 1832 to his Modena friend Angelo Catellani, that the vinegar he had received as a gift performed certainly very refreshing and had balsamic taste. That vinegar had therapeutic and digestive properties. This fact actually had already been known for centuries, as evidenced by the culinary treatise Apicius (first century. D.c.) and some of the eleventh and fifteenth century documents.
So what are those healing properties that made people use Balsamic Vinegar as a medicine? Let’s figure it out.
- Traditional Balsamic Vinegar has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties which can make it an effective remedy for treating infections and wounds
Especially it is good to treat the soar throat! Natural and tasty remedy. Those anti-bacterial properties also make Balsamic Vinegar quite last forever (it doesn’t have a shelf life!) obviously if you treat it good (just don’t leave it open, keep in cool dark place and do not place it in a fridge!)
- It contains powerful antioxidants – polyphenols which can fight cell damage and boost our immune system naturally
One salad with Balsamic Vinegar a day keeps the doctor away!
- Balsamic can help boosting the activity of the digestive enzyme pepsin thus improving metabolism
A spood of Balsamic after a meal – and your stomach will say “thank you”
- Balsamic Vinegar is low in calories
This fact does not only refer to Traditional Balsamic Vinegar but also to high quality Balsamic Vinegar of Modena (the difference between them and how to choose the high quality one you can check out here)
It is delicious and waaaay more healthy than other sauces or dressings like mayonnaise and ketchup.
- Balsamic may help control diabetes.
By adding five teaspoons of the vinegar with a meal may improve insulin sensitivity. Better insulin sensitivity means better diabetes control and lowered risk of dangerous heart diseases.
- Balsamic antioxidant may slow the aging process
The secret revealed. Now you know why Italians live so long and look so great!
- Balsamic can help to suppress appetite and therefore to aid in controlling weight
If you are inspired to use more of Balsamic Vinegar now, check out our recipes!