Potato Gnocchi with Balsamic Vinegar is a classic dish of Italian cuisine. Try out our version!
Ingredients for 4 portions:
- 1 kg potatos – Russet or Yukon gold potatoes.
- 300 g wheat flour “00” – plus for dusting
- 1 yolk egg
- 1 pinch sea salt
- In a medium pot, cover the potatoes with cold water. Bring the water to a simmer high heat and cook until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a skewer (15 to 20 minutes).
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and set aside to cool.
- When cool it enough to handle (but not cold), peel the potatoes and place them into a large bowl.
- Pass the potatoes through the potato masher
5. Add flour, yolk and salt and knead it by hand until the dough comes together.
6. Transfer to a work surface and knead with your hands several times, until the dough is smooth and soft.
7.Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rest at the room temperature for 10 minutes.
8. On a lightly floured work surface, use your hand to roll the chunk into a log about1/2 in (12 mm) diameter. Do not incorporate too much more flour into the dough, adding just enough so that the dough does not stick to the surface.
9. Cut the log into ½ to 1 inch pieces.
10. With the side of your thumb, gently push each pieces against a ghocchi board or the back of the tines of the fork, rolling and flicking the dough to make a curled shape with an indentation on one side and a ridged surface on the other.
12. Put the ghocchi on the prepared baking sheets, and make sure the ghocchi don’t touch or they will stick together.
13. Bring a large pot filled with water to a simmer over high heat. Salt the water when is boiling.
14. Add the ghocchi and simmer until they float to the surface on a couple of minutes.
15. Remove immediately with a slotted spoon.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 60g unsalted butter
- 100ml cow milk
- 100g finelly granted Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (24 months)
- To finish the ghocchi melt in a pan butter, milk and cheese.
- Add the ghocchi and finish the dish with some more granted cheese.
- Serve the ghocchi drizzling Gold Label Balsamic Vinegar of Modena on the top.