Traditional Balsamic Vinegar of Modena PDO and Balsamic Vinegar of Modena PGI both represent one of the most requested and world-widely appreciated Italian specialties, produced exclusively in Modena in the name of the Mediterranean cuisine. Its fame and diffusion begins after the Second World War, reaching its greatest expansion as an export product in the 1990s. It undergoes a not very abrupt but noteworthy slowdown in 2007 and 2008 and recovers quickly, maintaining even during its turndown the primacy it has conquered among the most appreciated products of good Italian cuisine all over the world.
As we can easily imagine, the fame of Balsamic Vinegar of Modena on the international market is really wide, and this product gets more and more requested from generation to generation. In fact, our “Black Gold” is considered to be one of the most loved typical Italian products, as it is extremely versatile and able to enhance even the most exotic meals, opening up with its characteristic perfumes and adapting easily to different gastronomic cultures with this delicacy that can season and enhance any kind of food.
Export of Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
Approximately 90% of the total production of Balsamic Vinegar of Modena (both PDO and PGI) takes the preferential sales route towards foreign markets, thus becoming an almost totally exported product. Its notoriety in the transalpine countries such as Switzerland, Austria, Germany and France is historic and today well established. These countries have been among the first ones to welcome and include Balsamic Vinegar among the most loved condiments in the houses and the most refined kitchens. But Balsamic Vinegar of Modena is a product which, albeit to a lesser extent, is also included and appreciated on the tables of northern European countries.
An undisputable workhorse also in North America, Balsamic Vinegar is a condiment that is used to accompany other typical Italian products: the most popular one is Parmigiano Reggiano, which served with several drops of Balsamic Vinegar of Modena instantly transports the beauty and flavors of Italy to the palate of those who taste it.
From the other side, we can notice a growing demand for Balsamic Vinegar in the whole world, from South America to the Far East. As Italians, we are really excited about this global appreciation that seems to embrace the world map from the left to the right. In fact, properly the access to these foreign markets has changed the demand and the value of the product, that gets constantly more requested both quantitatively and qualitatively, which allows us to provide high quality export.
Reasons Why Balsamic Vinegar is Appreciated World-widely
- Its flavor is perfect to discover new recipes in the kitchen, in different gastronomic cultures and as a dressing on “ethnic” food. For example, in America it is perfect due to the prevalence of sweet palates, while in the Far East due to the popularity of sweet and sour meals. Often the purchase of Balsamic Vinegar is associated with the purchase of other Italian specialties, which on its turn helps to increase the export of other typical products like cheese, pasta, ecc..
- It is easy to use since it does not require cooking. The sweet and sour nature of the product allows its use in a vast range of preparations, from savory to sweet ones.
- It has an excellent ability to last over time.
- The transportation is economic and the product is easy to handle even over important distances, for it does not require, for example, the cold chain.
- It gets marketed both in large-scale distribution and specialized Italian products shops, just like in Italy.
Several Curious Facts abot the Export of Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- The exported products are qualitatively the same as the ones you find in Italy.
- World consumption is in line with that required at the national level, thus it is majorly directed towards the PGI product for seasoning vegetables and salads.
- The purchase of PDO product by foreign markets is more aware than in Italy, also because of a higher price, so that even the application of the product is much more coherent with its actually recommended usage.
- The cost of Balsamic Vinegar of Modena abroad is higher, due to transportation costs, for that reason the tourist is more encouraged to buy it on Italian soil when possible.