A perfect starter for hot summer days. The vegetarian tartare recipe created by the Chef Maurizio Vergara. Made with marvelous tomatoes of Apulia in the summer kitchen of the splendid pajara overlooking the sea of Salento.
Cooking time: 20 minutes + time to cook the chicory
Ingredients for 4 portions:
- 300 g Insalataro Tomatoes
- 300 g Fiaschetto Tomatoes
- 300 g Ciliegino Tomatoes
- 500 g Wild Chicory
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil to taste
- Traditional Balsamic Vinegar of Modena DOP Extra Vecchio to taste
- Salt to taste
- Wash the tomatoes, open them up, remove the seeds, cut into cubes and leave them in a strainer to lose excess water.
- Boil abundant water in a pot, add salt, a clove of garlic and several bay leaves. Wash the chicory, put it into the boiling water and cook for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Once it is ready, drain the water and put the chicory into a bowl with cold water and ice in order to conserve the color.
- Mix the drained tomatoes with a bit of oil and salt.
- Place a food ring mold in the center of the plate. Fill the three quarters of it with tomatoes. Use the cooking tongs to take the chicory, roll it and place it onto the tomatoes.
- Remove the mold delicately. Complete the dish with a bit of extra virgin olive oil, salt and several drops of the Traditional Balsamic Vinegar of Modena DOP Extra Vecchio.